Saturday, June 14, 2014

5.6. - Urrrrr


Click to enlarge.

"It took only a second to get the diagram burning.  All of my surroundings were dimly illuminated, now, cast in faint yellow and orange.  The shapes on the walls seemed to move back and forth as the flame did. 
I saw it to my left.  It was barely visible in the shadow before it retreated to further darkness, vague and nebulous when I looked at it without really looking.  It moved like a hand without an accompanying body, of its own volition, using fingers to drag itself along the floor, perhaps.  A bulky, multi-limbed, asymmetrical body, with limbs that moved so quickly they might have been flickering.  Matte black.  It might have been a spider gone wrong ten times over with some full-body cancer, or a giant hunchbacked man with a dozen arms that were stretched long enough to reach over and under one another.  But it wasn’t.  It was a demon of the choir of darkness.  Something that had been given life in counterpoint to creation.  It was aged limbs, withered ones, from every species and no species in particular. 
It was nearly silent.  There was only a shuffling, the faintest scrape of body against floor.The front of the body disappeared, and some form of lower body or tail dragged behind it, like entrails trailing behind a man that had been bisected, a spine without the accompanying stomach, or a naked tail.  The trailing flesh was bent in places, as if it had been broken badly and bones had reset improperly.  A kind of detail that teased, invited me to look, as if it were a clue I could use.  But looking was a trap."


This one didn't quite come out the way I wanted it to. This particular demon is so nasty, so intriguing, so... Lovecraftian. It captured my heart instantly. I love drawing it and coming up with all the entrails, creepy hands, veins, and tentacles. Demons are so fun.

I will be revisiting this scene again, you can be sure of that.

3 comments:

  1. Dude. This picture... it rocks so much! Seriously, I even set it as my new cell phone wallpaper. Damn, really love your work!

    ReplyDelete