Thursday, June 5, 2014

1.1 - In the beginning, there was a Blake.




" .... I looked down the length of the street.  The property was framed by a short stone wall, shoulder height, along with an elaborate iron fence of roughly the same height, shaped into curling vines with metal points at set intervals.  It had been covered in some black paint or coating, but rust and peeling paint made for a mottled texture.  ‘No parking’ signs, a good distance in every direction.  I was already regretting coming.  Damn me, I thought, not for the first or second time. 
Further down the street, a few of the locals had stopped on a corner to talk.  Odd, how they kept looking at me.
Their eyes on my back, I pushed my motorcycle, guiding it through the gap between car and fence.  I set it on the lawn, leaning against the inside of the fence. 
I wasn’t in a rush.  I had made promises to myself.  I wouldn’t get caught up in their tempo.  Taking my time, I removed my helmet, wiped the sweat from my forehead and scalp.  Putting my hands in my pockets to be sure I had my keys, I felt paper crumple.  I went through my pockets, sorting out the change, bills and receipts I’d hastily pocketed at a rest stop along the way.
Procrastinating.
Looking up at the namesake hill, I could see the house.  Not big, but it drew attention because of the way it looked down on the two-theater podunk town.  It wasn’t dark, and it wasn’t ominous.  Barring a slightly overgrown garden, trees that had grown well beyond the quaint, tidy little decorations they might have been when the house was built, and the railing, it was nothing more than a nice house.  I’d dated a wannabe-architect at one point, a brief-lived fling.  I didn’t remember much, but I didn’t feel confident labeling the place as Victorian...."
Fell view HERE


Opening scene, ladies and gentlemen.

Some ball-point pen doodles that I took into photoshop and played with. I don't know how I feel about this one. I'm still trying to figure out a certain style for Pact. I'm really leaning towards a watercolor feel. Might play around with that in a bit.

ONE THING IS FOR CERTAIN, though. Blake rides a beat up cafe-racer with club handlebars. Its never stated, and I have no idea what Wildbow envisions, but... this is what I think.

The kid has class.



Update:
defined some of the lines - made Jacob's Bell hills and houses in the far right side a little more prominent.

Its so hard for me to leave drawings alone!


3 comments:

  1. This is so great! It really captures the feeling of that first scene, the runaway returning home, before it degenerates into spiteful sniping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!
    Haven't seen much Pact fanart around yet, so i'm very pleased to see this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. Hadn't realized quite what "beat up old piece of mostly junk" should mean until now.

    ReplyDelete